Print this page   Close this window

Assumption Parish Sheriffs Office



News

6 Month Old Baby Burned After Electrical Space Heater Ignites Blankets - Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This morning at approximately 7:32 am, the Assumption Parish Sheriff's Office received a call in reference to mattress which was on fire in the living room and a six month old child was burned. The residence is located at 400 Adam Hall Street in Napoleonville. The Napoleonville Volunteer Fire Department was immediately dispatched to the scene. Deputy John Brown was the first to arrive on scene within two minutes and immediately rushed the baby and mother to the Assumption Community Hospital in his patrol unit. Upon examination of the baby, she appears to have third degree burns on seventy percent of the right side of her body and has been flown to a Baton Rouge burn unit.

According to a preliminary investigation, deputies have learned that the baby was sleeping in a car seat on the floor of the living room. The car seat was on the floor and partially covered and surrounded by several blankets and a sleeping bag. It appears the blankets and sleeping bag was ignited by a nearby electrical space heater. The mother had left the residence for about 10 minutes to walk another child to school leaving the baby and a 2 year old boy with the mother's 22 year old sister who was asleep. When the mother returned home, she noticed a fire in the living room and the baby covered in the flames. The mother woke her sister and grabbed the baby along with the other child and fled the residence.

At this time, no charges have been filed in connection with this incident but this will incident remains under investigation.