MURDER SUSPECT BOOKED INTO ASSUMPTION PARISH JAIL
NAPOLEONVILLE – Assumption Parish Leland Falcon reports that on Tuesday, October 13, 2020 Shontun Joseph,18, of 160A Freetown Lane, Belle Rose, La., was returned from the State of Texas and booked into the Assumption Jail on felony murder charges.
On September 24, 2020, the Assumption Parish Sheriff’s Office responded to a shooting in the 100 block of Freetown Lane in Belle Rose, La. The shooting claimed the life of 21-year-old Cameron R. Brooks of 7287 Sumrall Dr., Baton Rouge, LA. Two other individuals, including a 51-year-old male on scene and an 11-year-old juvenile, who was struck while inside of a residence, were injured in the shooting. Both sustained non-life-threatening injuries. Detectives initiated an investigation into the homicide. As a result of the investigation, detectives secured an arrest warrant, charging Shontun Joseph with:
* One count of LA RS 14:30.1 Second Degree Murder
*One count of LA RS 14:27.30.1 Attempted Second-Degree Murder
* One count of LA RS 14:34.7 – Aggravated Second-Degree Battery
* One count of LA RS 14:55 Aggravated Criminal Damage to Property
* One count of LA RS 14:37.4 Aggravated Assault with a Firearm
* One count of LA RS 14:94 Illegal Use of Weapons or Dangerous Instrumentalities
Shontun Joseph was booked into the Assumption Parish Detention Center on the aforementioned charges and is awaiting a bond hearing.
For additional information concerning this News Release, contact Sheriff Leland Falcon or Public Information Officer, Lonny Cavalier at 985-369-7281.